Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Things to Do If You Are an Acorn: An Original Poem


It's been a hectic week for me. I've been trying to get some Thanksgiving preparations done before I head to Orlando tomorrow morning for the NCTE Annual Convention. I've also been busy preparing for two presentations.

I'm so looking forward to finally meeting Tricia Stohr-Hunt and Mary Lee Hahn at NCTE. I'm also excited about seeing my friends Janet Wong and Lee Bennett Hopkins again.

I decided not to take a laptop to Orlando because I'm going to have so little time to blog. That's why I'm doing my Poetry Friday post on Wednesday. I have another one of my "things to do" poems for you this week.


THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE AN ACORN
By Elaine Magliaro

Wear a bumpy, round cap
and a starched brown coat.
Grow plump,
ripen,
snap from your stem.
Geronimo!
Fall to the forest floor below.
Tempt a scavenging squirrel.
Let him bury you in a bed of moist earth
beneath a blanket of moldering leaves.
Dream the winter away in a frozen world.
Then, in spring,
sprout.
Let a little oak
out!

**********
Diane will be doing the Poetry Friday Roundup at Random Noodling this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment