I'm not alone in my dread of colder weather. Emily, a mom of two under than three who lives in Brooklyn, suffered through the winters having the same problems I did. But unlike me, she took to her sewing machine and did something about it, transforming an old sweater into the Haypenny Handmitten.
Emily describes the Haypenny Handmitten as a warm hug for your hands and it couldn't be more true. Each one is made from beautiful Alpaca wool and fits over your stroller handlebars (and it fits both single and doubles!). You put your hands into two openings lined in a super-soft breathable fleece to grip the handlebar so your fingers, hands and wrists stay toasty. When you need to answer your phone and tend to your kids, just pull them out and go about your business while the Handmitten stays put. So simple!
Emily sent me two sample Haypenny Handmittens so I could check them out for myself and they are so so pretty in person. I love that the colors are strong and bold - after being bombarded by so many babyish pastels, Emily made sure to pick hues that were adult and stylish.
The chunky cable knit wool is so soft, you just want to curl up with it. And the back of each Handmitten, which wraps around the stroller handlebar, is lined in a fine-wale corduroy.
Even though it's been a little toasty lately, I couldn't wait to test mine out! I dragged out one of our strollers and it took me all of 30 seconds to snap the Handmitten on.
Here's a peek at the fleece interior of each "sleeve." Does that look cozy or what?
And here's our Bee with Handmitten intact all ready to roll!
No more dreading the cold for me!
The Haypenny Handmitten can also be used on your child's safety bar for mitten-averse kiddos.
They come in four solid color choices as well as two patterns. I adore this sassy Clemmens version:
One of the things I love most about having this blog is the ability to promote mompreneurs. Who understands our needs as mothers better than other moms? And in this case, Emily developed a product that will truly make my life easier - and keep my wallet fatter, now that I don't have to keep buying new gloves - this winter. On top of that, she's also found a way to give back. Haypenny Design partnered with WAYRA, a fair-trade organization, to source all of her materials and manufacturing in Peru and Nepal.
Every woman who is employed by WAYRA is using her skills to help support her family so when you buy a Haypenny Handmitten, not only will you be supporting a fellow mom here but also mothers in Peru and Nepal as well. It's a gift that keeps on giving, which is why it's one of my HOLIDAY GIFT PICKS. Whether you live in the city or in the 'burbs, this product will do more than warm your hands - it will warm your heart too.
And one lucky AFOMFT reader is going to win one of the Haypenny Handmittens Emily generously sent to me! To enter, visit Haypenny Design and post a comment here telling me which of the Handmittens is your favorite and why you like this product (this is mandatory). For additional entries:
- Subscribe to AFOMFT or let us know you are a subscriber.
- Follow the lilsteinstyles blog Then There Was Five
- "Like" AFOMFT on Facebook
- "Like" Haypenny Design on Facebook and leave a comment that A Few of My Favorite Things sent you.
- Ask your friends to "like" AFOMFT on Facebook by sending them this link - http://tinyurl.com/AFOMFTFBFAN - and post a comment here with the names of each one who does. You'll earn one entry per new friend who "likes" our page and names will be cross-checked.
- Follow Haypenny Design & AFOMFT on Twitter (@haypennydesign & @AFOMFT or click the birdie icon on the sidebar) and tweet this post by clicking the graphic above or this giveaway: It's the Holiday Happening on @AFOMFT with a giveaway-a-day all month! #Win a Handmitten for your stroller from @haypennydesign - http://tinyurl.com/AFOMFT
- Click here to vote for AFOMFT on Top Baby Blogs and post a comment here that you did - . You can vote once per day per computer so if you vote every day or on different computers, be sure to post one comment for each one.
- Grab our button and put it on your blog or website and post a link here showing us.
- Grab our HOLIDAY HAPPENING button and put it on your blog or website and post a link here showing us.
- Blog or post on Facebook about this giveaway with a link to this post (worth 2 entries so please post two comments) and make sure your comments include a link to your status or blog post.
Images: Haypenny Design