The first book we received was Petting Farm.
This board book helps pre-schoolers learn about farm animals in a really innovative way - by seeing, hearing and touching them. Each page features a different animal with something about it touch - a horse's mane, a pig's nose - which Gabrielle and Alaina adore. But that's not all. Petting Farm comes with a 20-minute DVD that brings the animals to life! And it's so fun to watch - not only are all of the baby animals adorable but the photography is wonderful and the music is delightful. Your kids won't be the only ones who want to start the DVD again when it ends.
The second book we got was Little Shapes.
You may be wondering what there is to touch when it comes to shapes but all of the shapes in this book have a tactile element - shiny, scratchy, etc. That interaction really seems to help facilitate learning because we repeat the names of the shapes, touch them and look at them. The pages are sturdy and hold up well to lots of handling and I really like that they have rounded edges. Gabrielle and Alaina tend to run around with their books so I appreciate that there aren't any pointy corners for me to worry about. I'm going to get the girls some of the other books in the "Little" series including Little Colors, Alphabet, Peek-a-Zoo and Numbers.
If you're looking for educational books that your little ones will enjoy, I would highly recommend these two titles. You can buy both Petting Farm and Little Shapes on Amazon.
About Little Scholastic:
From the most trusted name in learning comes Little Scholastic, a developmental publishing program that introduces reading to babies and toddlers ages birth to three years. Each book features rhyming, repetitive, or predictable text, interactive components, and familiar subjects—all formatted to delight babies, toddlers, and parents. Visit www.littlescholastic.com for expert advice and articles, parenting tips, book information, and more.
And boy do I have a great giveaway for you today! Little Scholastic is generously giving three lucky AFOMFT readers copies of Petting Farm and Little Shapes. That's right, there will be three winners chosen! To enter, post a comment here telling me what your child's favorite book is right now (this is mandatory). For additional entries:
- Subscribe to AFOMFT or let us know you are a subscriber.
- "Like" AFOMFT on Facebook
- Ask your friends to "like" AFOMFT on Facebook by sending them this link - http://tinyurl.com/AFOMFTFBFAN - and post a comment here with the names of each one who does. You'll earn one entry per new friend who "likes" our page and names will be cross-checked.
- Follow AFOMFT on Twitter (@AFOMFT or click the birdie icon on the sidebar) and tweet this post by clicking the graphic above or this giveaway: It's the Holiday Happening on @AFOMFT with a giveaway-a-day all month! #Win two wonderful children's books from @Scholastic - http://tinyurl.com/AFOMFT
- Click here to vote for AFOMFT on Top Baby Blogs and post a comment here that you did - . You can vote once per day per computer so if you vote every day or on different computers, be sure to post one comment for each one.
- Grab our button and put it on your blog or website and post a link here showing us.
- Grab our HOLIDAY HAPPENING button and put it on your blog or website and post a link here showing us.
- Blog or post on Facebook about this giveaway with a link to this post (worth 2 entries so please post two comments) and make sure your comments include a link to your status or blog post.
Please note that Little Scholastic provided me with the two books listed above for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received. The opinions I've shared of these titles are my own and yours may differ.
Images: Little Scholastic