Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Acrostic Poems for Spring


It’s the first day of National Poetry Month! I’m posting some of my original acrostic poems about spring. The first poem below, Nest, is one that I haven’t posted here previously.


Nestled in a basket on a bough,

Eager to eat, itty-bitty birds

Singing for their supper,

Trilling and filling a tree with song




And now, spring settles in,

Pitches her green tent.

Robins return, fruit trees burst

Into bloom, and the sun

Lays her warm yellow hands over the earth.



Soft, scented breezes, kite-catching winds, the

Pitter patter of warm rain on the

Roof, daffodils and daisies and lilacs

In bloom, apple trees wearing snow-white crowns.

Now the sun lingers at the edge of day and

Green…lovely green…has come home to stay.



Coming up, I’m coming up,

Reaching through the softening soil, poking my petals

Out of the earth,

Collecting sunlight in my purple cup.

Up, I’m coming up.

Spring is on the way!


********************


Here’s a link to a super list of resources that I compiled for National Poetry Month:
Resources for National Poetry Month 2009

The following blogs have big plans for National Poetry Month. You’ll want to visit them often during the month of April:


Win a Poetry Book!
Every week during April, I’ll be giving away children’s poetry books at Wild Rose Reader and books of light verse at Political Verses. If you leave a comment at one of my poetry posts this week, I’ll enter your name in the drawing for a poetry book. If you leave comments at two post, I'll enter your name twice...and so on.

This week’s prize from Wild Rose Reader will be a copy of Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems edited by Georgia Heard.



This week’s Prize from Political Verses will be The Underwear Salesman and Other Jobs for Better or Verse, which was written by J. Patrick Lewis and illustrated by Serge Bloch.



The drawings for the poetry book prizes for this week will be held on Sunday, April 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment