Friday, May 23, 2008

GINO v GENO

I know this issue I'm about to present is trivial, but I can't help it - I'm antsy and therefore I'm probably overthinking it... (I guess this is what happens when there's still 20ish hours left until the biggest series of the postseason starts.)

I'm torn about how The Show should handle the "GINO" v "GENO" issue. I still think that logically it should be "GENO" because Evgeni is the Russian equivalent of Eugene. And just a few hours ago, I got another reason to support why it should be "GENO" (I'm posting it in its entirety in case you've missed it in the comments section):
Pensgirl said...

You know, just because his stick says "Gino" doesn't mean that's the correct spelling. You don't know who's responsible for putting the nickname there. I say that as a person whose real name is misspelled All. The. Freaking. Time.

So until the person who gave him the nickname (Colby, I think) states officially that it's spelled "Gino," I'm going to continue to assume it's "Geno."

Here's why.

Hmmm... I before E?

There was this Caps video I saw a few months ago (living in Baltimore I get the Caps' local broadcasts) where they asked the players to give out some underground hockey lingo. Each term was subtitled on the screen.

Turns out, there's a little-known slang term that means "goal."

It's geno.

Anyone else think that mighta been the real source of his nickname? I don't know why they wouldn't just say that, but it sure makes sense.
May 23, 2008 7:54:00 PM
As a victim of misspellings myself - Jodie (← correct), Jodi, and Jody, and don't EVEN get me started on the butchering of my last name - I know all too well that this scenario is a distinct possibility. Sooooo, I've decided to let it up to you. Vote for which spelling you think The Show should use. I'll check the results tomorrow before I begin the SCF Game 1 recap, and I'll use the spelling you guys pick. I know, I know - it's silly. Buy hey, what else are you going to do to pass the time until that puck drops???

And since it IS his Show, here's a picture of Sid from Friday's practice (click to enlarge for wallpaper size - the Malkin picture is huge, too):


GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment