Friday, November 7, 2008

Poetry Friday: An Autumn List Poem

Two years ago, I was practicing writing list poems. Here’s one of my mediocre efforts. I have hundreds of poems like Autumn--poems that I’ll probably never see published anywhere but my blog. Still, I find that working on such pieces is like doing poetry calisthenics. It helps pump up my writing muscles. There are times, however, when I revisit old poems like Autumn and find a kernel of something I like in them that I can rework into a different and a better poem.


AUTUMN
by Elaine Magliaro


Crickets sighing
Birds goodbying
Pumpkins growing plump and round

Apple picking
Football kicking
Chestnuts thudding on the ground

Bright leaves falling
Wild geese calling
Honeybees huddling in their hive

Trick-or-treating
Turkey eating
Winter’s waiting to arrive



********************


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a Poetry Friday post with two poems by Sherman Alexie in honor of Native American Heritage Month.


Jone has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Check It Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment