Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Give us this day our daily bread

Last evening, I shared about how the Lord taught me to look to Him for grace and strength to set my priority right at work and to honour Him. It helps to take away my fear of losing the part-time job and I was able to concentrate on doing my work more accurately. The Lord, in His mercies and faithfulness, blessed my work yesterday.

Thanks, Anne, for reminding me to pray and commit my work to the Lord before I start work. Anne said in her comment on my last post:

"As you know, I worked in health care for 30 years and before I would start work EVERYDAY, I would add to the end of my prayer, 'Please God don't let me hurt anyone.' Maybe adding something to your prayers before you start work will instill more confidence in yourself. I pray that God guides your hand in all tasks."

I am reminded of Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

This morning God confirmed His instructions to me during my quiet time. I read Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, 14 Feb Morning:

"And his allowance was a continual allowance given him of the king, a daily rate for every day, all the days of his life. 2 Kings 25:30

Jehoiachin was not sent away from the king’s palace with a store to last him for months, but his provision was given him as a daily pension. Herein he well pictures the happy position of all the Lord’s people. A daily portion is all that a man really wants. We do not need tomorrow’s supplies; that day has not yet dawned, and its wants are as yet unborn. The thirst which we may suffer in the month of June does not need to be quenched in February, for we do not feel it yet; if we have enough for each day as the days arrive we shall never know want. Sufficient for the day is all that we can enjoy......Here is surely ground for thankfulness.

Beloved Christian reader, in matters of grace you need a daily supply. You have no store of strength. Day by day must you seek help from above. It is a very sweet assurance that a daily portion is provided for you. In the word, through the ministry, by meditation, in prayer, and waiting upon God you shall receive renewed strength. In Jesus all needful things are laid up for you. Then enjoy your continual allowance. Never go hungry while the daily bread of grace is on the table of mercy."

I hope that day by day I may learn to seek help from God for without Him, I can do nothing at all. Thank God that He provides for our daily portion! May I learn to ask and wait upon Him for my daily bread, physical and spiritual.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31


Truly how God takes care of the sparrows! Surely, He will take care of me. What a comfort!

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9


Such an encouragement to remember that God's grace is sufficient for me. Though I am weak, He is strong. I need to remember to ask for grace daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment